Mobile Sound & Video Network > Other > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Discuss anything NOT related to Mobile Sound & Video.

Unread 04-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Default Apple Ipad

So, today I got a chance to play with a co-workers Ipad. As far as WOW factor, it is incredible. The screen is very responsive, and the (Wi-Fi) internet was fast. Browsing was overall pretty good.

I was told the Ipad has some sort of compass or gyroscope in it that can react to almost any movement. One game set you in first-person mode as a gunner (on a ship?). Your job was to shoot down enemy planes. The cool part was that you could simply turn around in one place while holding the Ipad at arms length, and the view would change as you turned. Meaning, as you spin around, it was simulating the gunner spinning. It also reacted to up and down movements. Very cool.

What I wonder is, will the novelty of the Ipad wear off, and basically leave you with a really expensive paper weight? This thing is too big for any pocket, so I wouldn't be carrying it everywhere. I might use it in my house, but my home computer will still give a better internet experience. On-the-road internet would be good, especially with the 3G model. But for $600 plus, I just don't see it as being worth it. I think the key will be the apps which eventually come out for it. Who knows, it will interesting to see what happens.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote