Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > General Event Discussion

General Event Discussion Planning & organizing events, setup tips and tricks, and any other event related subjects. Please post event specific topics in the corresponding forum below.

Unread 05-23-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Default Cancellations?

I currently don't charge a deposit. So far, I have not had many cancellations, and the ones I have had, really had little impact. Meaning, customers pick a different date if a date is already booked. So I don't often lose a sale because a date is already booked.

Anyway, I had a customer call today to tell me they are thinking of cancelling due to predicted bad weather. That's understandable, except that the event is 8 days away. Weather is barely predictable 1 day in advance, let alone 8. I think this was just an excuse to cancel. That's ok, it's what I get for not collecting a deposit.

For now, I think I will continue NOT collecting deposits. It still does not seem worth the overhead (keeping track of payments and dates for reimbursements). I'm sure after getting burned a few more times, especially if I end up losing out on customers, I will change. But, for now, I'm still ok as is.

I am posting this mainly because I am still learning and changing, and I want to chronicle my progress. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

Doug
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Well, I talked to the customer, and I was wrong. They apparently are just concerned about the weather. They might instead want to move indoors, and split into 2 showings instead of 1. What do you know!

Unfortunately this kind of thing only helps to reinforce that collecting a deposit (at least for me) is still way more trouble than it is worth.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Miles : 05-27-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: fix typo
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote