Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > General Event Discussion

General Event Discussion Planning & organizing events, setup tips and tricks, and any other event related subjects. Please post event specific topics in the corresponding forum below.

Unread 06-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Default Inflatable screen safety

In light of recent bounce house accidents MoonWalkForum sent out a general message to forum members. The purpose of the message was to remind operators to be safe and update their safety certifications. Since inflatable screens are as much (if not more) susceptible to the effects of wind I was wondering about a few things.

Should outdoor movie rental companies get certified the same as inflatable rental companies?

Do you have any plans to get certified (see S.I.O.T.O.)?

What precautions does everyone have in place for preventing screens from "blowing away"? Obviously staking screens down, but what specific techniques, etc.

Anyone have any other thoughts? I'm always concerned about my screens blowing away. Freak winds sometimes come out of nowhere, you always need to be prepared. It will only take one inflatable screen accident to change everything.

Here's an article and video from a recent New York accident. Scary...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/05/new...oating.houses/
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
JPR
MSV Addict

I have the Advanced SIOTO certification. I do have to take a test for the renewal. I think you're right that screens are more susceptible to the wind. We should probably anchor the screen at all times. I don't always do it.

That accident that happened was due to improper set up. A slide that big should be on grass or anchored with stakes through asphalt. Sandbags won't really do much if the wind decides to take that thing for a ride, which it did. You would need an incredible amount of sandbags.

I think all you can do is follow the guidelines and play it safe. I am yet to have an accident on an inflatable, 3 years, but I know it is bound to happen. If you follow the rules, play it safe and extremely diligent towards safety some freak accident can still occur. This is why you should incorporate to protect yourself and your family as well as carry insurance. Just never know.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Yeah, I think anchoring is key. Although I once anchored a screen, and the wind still picked it up and flipped it backwards onto my equipment. Glad it didn't go toward the audience. But, the fact is that I did have it anchored; ripped the stakes right out of the ground. And that was quickly followed by heavy rain, not a fun night!

Is the certification expensive or time consuming to get?
Unread 06-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
JPR
MSV Addict

No it's not to bad. I want to say $95 or so. There's a basic and then there's the advanced in which you have to take both.
Unread 06-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

That's not bad, I was afraid it was in the hundreds. That might not be a half bad idea to get. You know, display your certification, help give your customers added confidence in you.

Where is the training offered? I assume it's on the website somewhere.
Unread 06-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
JPR
MSV Addict

The training and test is all online. They should probably add a portion for screens since they're becoming so popular.