Mobile Sound & Video Network > Getting Started > New User Introductions & Business Listings

New User Introductions & Business Listings Introduce yourself and/or your business!

Unread 06-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
big daddy
MSV Contributor

Default Newbie

Hello all,

I am very new in the business and I plan on starting very small with just a 12ft inflatable, a decent projector, ps3 with blue ray and a fender passport. In my area, there is 0 competition so I am hoping this will take off.

I am hoping I can get some pointers from you seasoned experts on how too intially promote the business. Movies only too begin with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank-you.

Matthew
big daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Hey Matthew,

Welcome, nice to have you here. Sounds like you have good plan already. I really like the idea of the PS3 as your player. Wish I had done that, still working toward it.

Have you done any parties yet? I started initially by sending out a flyer around town. From the first flyer mailing I got 3 parties. After those parties, word-of-mouth kicked in. People really like the idea of backyard movies, and from my experience, they like to tell others about them also.

I'm sure myself or others can help as you go forward. I'll have to think back to when I started and try to remember other things I did to promote the business initially. But, for some reason I am drawing a blank right now.

Doug
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Oh, I should also apologize for not having a "New User Introduction" forum. See, Neil, I should have created it when you first mentioned it. Maybe I'll set that up now and move your thread there.
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
big daddy
MSV Contributor

Default backyard movies

Hello Doug,

Thanks for the reply. I see you are in NJ. I am actually up in Ontario, Canada, hence we both sort of have the same weather with summers being somewhat relatively short. I am just awaiting delivery of my Gemmy 12ft inflatable. We cannot obtain them uphere so I have had afriend of mine in Buffalo pick one up for me.

Where I am located there is no competition as I mentioned. We have 1 company 6hrs away that does big events with 25ft-40ft inflatables but the cost for them to come here is large. I have already approached criterion pictures about public performance licences and new releases etc, the lady I spoke with went to mention about the number of calls they receive from my area, but the 1 company is just to expensive , so she thinks I could be sitting on some pretty lucrative $$ uphere. I am not prepared right to plunge into $25,000 + for big time equipment
just yet. Start small and work my way up.

Matthew
big daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Welcome!

I can't really help with the promotion, as I went about it a strange way. I went out and books 1 client, then bought all the equipment. Backwards from what most do I would suspect. I am going to get through this summer, then maybe market to more possible clients.

Ask questions - that is the only way to learn.
Unread 06-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinac Movies View Post
Backwards from what most do I would suspect.
"Backwards" is one word for it, but "extremely smart" is another (actually that's 2 words!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy
Thanks for the reply. I see you are in NJ. I am actually up in Ontario, Canada, hence we both sort of have the same weather with summers being somewhat relatively short. I am just awaiting delivery of my Gemmy 12ft inflatable. We cannot obtain them uphere so I have had afriend of mine in Buffalo pick one up for me.

Where I am located there is no competition as I mentioned. We have 1 company 6hrs away that does big events with 25ft-40ft inflatables but the cost for them to come here is large. I have already approached criterion pictures about public performance licences and new releases etc, the lady I spoke with went to mention about the number of calls they receive from my area, but the 1 company is just to expensive , so she thinks I could be sitting on some pretty lucrative $$ uphere. I am not prepared right to plunge into $25,000 + for big time equipment
just yet. Start small and work my way up.
Yes, I would guess we have similar climate. I can start outdoor movies in May (usually late May). My last outdoor party is usually in October sometime (but that can get very cold). I have done a few parties in November, but I won't do that anymore, just not smart to push the equipment.

Sounds like you are sitting on a gold mine there, nice! I like the plan, start small and work up. I would monitor what that other company charges, can't hurt. Who knows, you might be getting some of their work before you know it.
Unread 06-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

I can chime in on equipment somewhat. Spend a little money upfront and make sure that you road case your stuff, so that when moving it you don't have to worry about something happening to it.

Plan some backup equipment. Maybe not the absolute most important for small backyard clients, but remember bad reviews will travel much faster then good reviews, so if something happens (even it it isn't your fault) and lil billy's b-day is ruined, you will certainly take heat for it. Identify the most important things in your setup, and develop contingency plans in case something happens. Carry a spare for every different type of cable you use.

Take some extra time upfront and make your equipment optimized for fast setup and tear down. It will pay big dividends at 1am!