Mobile Sound & Video Network > Other > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Discuss anything NOT related to Mobile Sound & Video.

Unread 10-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
JPR
MSV Addict

Default Balls on thr drumset!

So we had movie screen rental last night. It was a beautiful day and night in NJ and just right for an outdoor movie. Spoke to the customer via email last week with some back and forth details. I asked what movie they were going to watch and they said it was a movie which is rated R. I warned them about the language and how loud it's going to be. If it something you do not want your neigbors to hear you probably don't want to play it. They said it was a very isolated area and the neighbors were actually the husband's parents. I still don't like it but I figured it was just some curse words and they were cool with it. It's their kids not mine. It was b-day party for 14 year old girls.

So we set up and everything is going just fine. Really a perfect spot for an outdoor movie. It was "Step Brothers" with Will Ferrel. I sort of watched the movie but couldn't really remember how bad it was. I figured just some foul language at worst. But again the parent cleared it so I figured we're okay. I stick around for a bit and then was leaving to go pick up some bouncers with someone else. As I am getting up this small hill to the truck I hear some 14 year old screaming, "His balls are on the drumset!!! His balls are on the drumset!!" All of a sudden I remembered the scene(which I find funny in a sick way) and I turned around. All I see are 14 year old girls screeching and the parents which were off to the side sprinting to the guy manning the movie. I couldn't help but laugh because I didn't know how else to react. They're running and all you see is wine and beer flying all over the place. Lets just say they weren't the most athletic looking people.

I meet up with them behind the screen and we agreed on a different movie. They were so embarassed and admitted they never screened the movie. I was still laughing my butt off which I think eased their nerves. I guess I was embarassed as well. Maybe you had to be there but I thought I'd share.

Sorry if I used inappropriate language but I didn't want to lose the effect.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR View Post
"His balls are on the drumset!!! His balls are on the drumset!!"
Holy crap, that's funny! One of the few times I've ever laughed out loud at a forum post. I know the scene too, freakin' hilarious.

Maybe it's just people in NJ. You sound like you are getting the same customers I get. You warn them about the movie choice, and look what happens.

Also, I don't think there are any censoring of words on this forum, so post whatever you want. I, for one, am difficult to offend.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
JPR
MSV Addict

Maybe I need to be more direct with them about the movie. I really wasn't sure how they were going to react at first. It sort of worked even though we had to start another movie from the beginning. Messed up my schedule. lol/
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Whenever a movie is questionable, I send the customer to commonsensemedia.org or some other site that reviews movies based on content. However, I've become increasingly hard-nosed toward customers. Should it be YOUR responsibility to warn the customer that an R-rated movie might not be a good choice? Especially for 14 year old girls? Isn't that just common sense?
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
JPR
MSV Addict

Thanks for the link, that site is awesome.

Yeah it is a fine line on how to treat the customers. You want everyone to have a good time but you also don't want to associate your company with questionable decisions. Ultimately all you can do is advise them or turn the job down. With the situation this past weekend the kid wanted to see the movie and the parents just assumed it wasn't to bad. They should have screened the movie but I do think they just made a mistake. As was obvious with their alcohol laden sprint to behind the screen.

You should see some parents when we go pick up bouncers. I am sometimes astonished how much they can drink at a kid's party. That's when I get nervous because you know drunken men turn drunken boys and WWF breaks out in the bouncer. That's the injuries that worry me.
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR View Post
That's when I get nervous because you know drunken men turn drunken boys and WWF breaks out in the bouncer. That's the injuries that worry me.
I can only imagine!
Unread 12-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

That link is awesome, I am going to use it to help plan next summers movies, assuming I will be doing that jobs again.

I was IMDB, and on a buch of the movies there is a link near the bottom which tells you why it is rated what it is. Some are really specific and you can judge if PG-13 is OK for 10-12 yr olds. What I would strat doing is looking up the movies for them and e-mailing a link, or a copy of the text on PG-13 or R movies so they understand. Add a clause that you are not responsible for video content, if you don't have one already.

Ultimatly this is why I don't do video in my DJ events. I just can't police the content like I would want to.
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
JPR
MSV Addict

Same customer called us back for another movie. National Lampoon's European Vacation. I didn't stick around as I was really busy but I don't there was any "Balls on the drumset" moments.
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Well, I guess it couldn't have effected them too much since they called you back.