Mobile Sound & Video Network > Other > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Discuss anything NOT related to Mobile Sound & Video.

Unread 11-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Default Best Buy Thanksgiving Outdoor Movie Night

Anyone going to Best Buy for Black Friday? Doors open at midnight, and select stores will have outdoor movie screenings of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Misc/Black+Friday+Movie+Screening/pcmcat257800050009.c?id=pcmcat257800050009&ref=160 &loc=13

There's a store not too far from me, maybe I'll check it out.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

So, I ended up going to the Best Buy on Route 9 in Manalapan, NJ. As I mentioned, select Best Buy stores held an outdoor movie screening of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 on Thanksgiving Night.

I must say, I was HIGHLY impressed! My original guess was that they were going to pull out a Sima Inflatable screen (since they sell those). Boy, was I wrong. They had a HUGE mobile LCD screen, mounted on a tractor trailer. This was by far the most expensive outdoor movie set up I've ever seen. I'm thinking the screen was somewhere between 30 and 40 feet wide. And, it was competing with direct light from the parking lot lights. NO WAY could any of my set ups handled this.

The audio was ok, not great, just ok. It was loud enough, and if people weren't talking in line, I would have had no problem hearing the movie. The audio consisted of two speakers on stands on the very back end of the trailer. You can probably make out the speakers in a few of the pictures below.

Speaking of pictures, here are a bunch (I was also testing my new camera in low light):

Below: before the movie started:
DSC00484.JPG

Below: movie started
DSC00487.JPG

Below: different angle
DSC00489.JPG

Below: view of screen and Best Buy
DSC00491.JPG

Below: shot from behind the waiting line
DSC00495.JPG

Below: side view of screen
DSC00496.JPG

Below: closer view showing the back of the screen and support structure
DSC00498.JPG

Below: this is what the truck looked like after the screen had been lowered back down into the trailer
DSC00499.JPG
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Wow, that is just crazy. No way I would go out on Thanksgiving day, night or otherwise. Stayed in and watched the Lions loose and embarass themselves.

Similar to the setups I have seen at races, but that truck has soft sides, so it is a different setup. I saw one of the race seups for sale last summer on the net. Just the trailer video setup, $650,000. Gonna have to do a lot of backyard parties to pay that one off.
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
JPR
MSV Addict

Now that's a screen.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote