Mobile Sound & Video Network > Equipment > Video

Video All equipment used to display & transmit video regardless of event type. This includes projectors, LCD & plasma screens, DVD players, video game consoles, video cables, etc.

Unread 06-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
JPR
MSV Addict

My first projector is in!

Unfortunately it's still in the box and will probably stay there this weekend. I'm excited though.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

You said "first". Do you have another one coming?
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post
You said "first". Do you have another one coming?
No but I have another one on my wish list. The Epson 705 HD, seems like a good bang for the buck and everyone speaks highly of it.
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:01 AM   #14
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

That's the projector I'm leaning toward also. Spending all my money on the new website right now, so it won't happen for me anytime soon.
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #15
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post
That's the projector I'm leaning toward also. Spending all my money on the new website right now, so it won't happen for me anytime soon.
Yeah won't happen for me anytime soon either. Just got the ball rolling on my website also. Nothing to fancy but hopefully something that will catch their eye. Hope to have it completed in a couple of weeks.
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #16
big daddy
MSV Contributor

Hi Guys,'s

Sorry for the redundant questions........Guess it's best to get the right equipment initially instead of having to purchase it after it's too late.

4:3 vs 16:10??

would that be pixel resolution?

Help!

Please and thank-you.

Matthew
big daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #17
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Aspect ratio. 4x3 is TV size. A lot of DVD TV shows, and some movies are "full screen"

16x9, is considered widescreen. The would be your newer TVs and widescreen movies.

16x10 is actually widescreen computer resolution. Some consider this one just a bit better as it has just a touch more flexibility in scaling.

I think the consensus is for pro applications, stick with 16x9/10
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #18
JPR
MSV Addict

This is what I had the most difficulty figuring out. In my mind I just assumed a projector could project in all aspect ratios but that is not the case. I am a newbie but I would think trying to match your equipment will help provide a better product. Doug and another post from BYT really (not sure if I can post it here or not) helped explain this to me. Basically, having a widescreen projector and screen or having a standard ratio projector and screen will help avoid empty bars on the top or the sides. Matching the equipment helps fill out the screen better. Think of watching a widescreen hdtv and watching a non HD channel, you get the bars on the side. Non-HD is a 4:3 aspect ratio while the HD channels show in widescrren format, 16:9.

Since you haven't incurred any costs yet make sure to get equipment that integrate well with one another. And careful with Doug, he likes to spend your money.
Unread 06-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #19
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Exactly. You can still use a projector in non-native aspect ratio. SOme projectors will even stretch or compress the image to fit their native format. If they don't you will have the black bars on either the top/bottom, or the sides. Think about this as waisting resources. There is no need to run the projector, projecting black lines, if that is going to be the normal way you run it. Fine for the occasional use, but better to match things up to the recommended use.

Check out the projectors classified as WXGA
Unread 06-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #20
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I finally got around to posting something I wanted to for a long time. This discussion reminded me of it.

16:9 vs 4:3 Projectors

Like Neil said, 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, etc. are aspect ratios. It's the ratio of the width of the image to the height. For 16:9 and 16:10, the image is almost twice as wide as it is tall (more rectangular). 4:3 is closer to a square, with the width being only slightly more than the height.